Once forming part of Woodridge, Logan Central is the official central business district of Logan City and is a major activity centre, with many shops and local businesses operating in the area, mostly along the Wembley Road corridor. Major retailers include Coles, Woolworths and K-mart.
Woodridge railway station is located in Logan Central. It is also well-serviced by a number of bus routes.
Most of the housing in the suburb is detached homes with around one quarter of residents living in a unit or apartment with more than half of the households renting.
The suburb is named after Francis and Catherine Shailer, who arrived with their children in the area in 1866. Like many farmers in the area, they first grew cotton and later sugar. The Shailers were probably best known for their fruit growing and operated the first citrus orchard in southern Queensland, situated in Slacks Creek. The land selected by Francis Shailer was situated to the north of the current Shailer Road. Francis was a teacher at the first and second Slacks Creek Provisional Schools. He was also the first Clerk of the Tingalpa Divisional Board in 1880. The Shailers intermarried with other pioneering families in the district including the Dennis family, who were related to the Markwells, as well as the Murrays, who had an adjoining property along the Logan River. The property still exists at the end of Murrays Road.
Francis’ son Alfred later farmed the area now known as Daisy Hill. At that time it was called Oakey Mountain and was owned by his grandfather, James Dennis. Alf's son Glen Shailer also farmed this property. Glen carried on the family's tradition of involvement in local government. He was elected to the Albert Shire Council in 1961 and served almost continuously until 1985. He was elected Mayor of Logan City in 1982 and served for one term.
Shailer Park was originally named as a district in 1971, then as a sub-district of Slacks Creek in 1977. It was officially named a suburb in 1991. The Kimberley Park estate was developed from 1973 and the Kimberley Park State School opened 29 January 1985. The Logan Hyperdome shopping centre opened in 1989 on the site of a former water park.
The Logan Hyperdome Library opened in 1998 with a major refurbishment in 2014.
In the 2011 census, Logan Central recorded a population of 6,172 people, 49.6% female and 50.4% male. The median age of the Logan Central population was 32 years, 5 years below the national median of 37. 50.3% of people living in Logan Central were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 9.6%, Burma 3.2%, England 2.5%, Samoa 2.5%, Philippines 1.5%. 59.7% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 5.4% Samoan, 1.6% Karen, 1.3% Kirundi (Rundi), 1.3% Burmese, 1.3% Arabic.
The suburb is also home to the Logan City Council offices, Logan Art Gallery, a public library, police station and the Logan Brothers Rugby League Football Club.
The Logan City Council operate the Logan Central Library at 26 Wilbur Street. The library opened in 2011.
Top Logan Central Issues
- Community Services
- Crime & Safety
- Domestic Disputes