The western and part of the northern boundary of Cedar Grove follows the Logan River. Also on the northern boundary is the Cedar Grove Weir which began operations in 2008.
When the railway line to Beaudesert was built in 1888, the station in the area was called Cedar Pocket. Cedar Grove State School opened in 1923 and closed in 1965. Formerly in the Shire of Beaudesert, Cedar Grove became part of Logan City following the local government amalgamations in March 2008.